Thursday, April 21, 2011

Loop De Loop


When I reflect back to my grammar school days I recall the book mobile setting up shop in the playground parking lot each year. Hundreds of books all neatly lined up in the back of a Tractor Trailer. Not sure if schools still host a book mobile but I know it was a lot of fun for kids when I was in school. It truly got everyone excited about reading because they picked out a subject matter that was of interest to them. Subsequently it got them reading and that is a great thing.

Although I'm sure I purchased a few books in the book mobile over the years, the title that really sticks out to me was a softcover entitled "Motorcycle Daredevils." I read it from cover to cover at least once a week. Looking back at this title it was written as almost an instructional book for kids on leaping your Harley Davidson or Triumph motorcycle over 18 buses. Sure, what kid owned a Harley in 3rd grade? Yet little kids grow up to become big kids who do buy motorcycles. Now that I'm working with Jannie on this book, my intention is to make the daredevil subject matter just as enjoyable and exciting as Motorcycle Daredevils was to me. Yet I'd like to eliminate the "how to" part of the book. So although I don't want to give away the entire story, the "big stunt" build up involves a Loop De Loop. Why a Loop De Loop? Well I was thinking that it would be visually interesting and yet most kids would probably never grow up and try and build one in their back yard.

With that said, please pass along any "safe" stunts you can think of and maybe they'll make it into the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment